Well, I finished my half-assed sprinkler system today! It actually WORKS!
I was concerned that with my entire yard being watered from one hose with questionable pressure, that it might not have enough pressure to make the water go all the way to the end of the "loop" around the yard.
I was also concerned that the flowers would flood and the trees would get just a drop. Well, that is happening, but I know how to fix that, it's just going to take time.
You see, for every flower bubble I turn down a notch, that will increase the water coming out of another lesser-served bubbler elsewhere. So, it's a juggling act of sorts. Also, I couldn't do all of that today because when I purged the pipes before adding the bubblers, I already flooded the areas, so there's no telling at that point which ones are getting how much water. At least not till the water clears and I can get a fresh picture of what turning the faucet on will do to each area.
So, I have a sprinkler system again! We used to have sprinklers in the grass, but took the grass out and capped that line. It would have been SO great to just tap back into that line, but the fuck-wad that put the concrete in for us cut the electricity to the valve box and not it's all concreted in with the nearest access to it being a good 10 feet away. I'd rather have PVC above ground for the dogs to eyeball than have electrical wires above ground at this point -- with their chewing track record!!!!
Yes, I used to have drip lines as well, but those went away long before the concrete fiasco. What IS it about drip heads and drip lines that is so irresistible to dogs?
I'm not too concerned about the PVC being visible at this point because it's so damned hot out there that I don't have to look at it anyway. I just want my plants to make it this year without having to spend 30-45 minutes sweating our asses off outside every day. When things cool down and we venture outside again, I may either disassemble the contraption enough to put it away somewhere, or else put in the effort to bury it. MAYBE, just maybe, I'll look into what it would take to hook it up to a real valve box instead of the hose if I go to all that effort. I don't know. I'm not sure I care.
OH! I also got a timer for the hose, but couldn't use it. I'll save it for vacations or weekends away, but as it is, there's no way I'm leaving that hooked up full time. Our water faucets outside HUM throughout the entire house if you leave the water on but the hose blocked (with a sprayer or, say, a sprinkler system attached). It would have been great to have it go off every day on it's own, but I don't want to listen to the hum 23 1/2 hours every day just to have that 30 minutes of low maintenance in the back yard.
Like I said, if we are gone, it's ON! Who knows, maybe it will even scare the snake away by making this place just inhabitable.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Water, Water Everywhere
Posted by Lisa at 9:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great job! So nice when a project is successful, isn't it?
We had our sprinkler system put in last fall, but just had a line run into the flower beds. So C and I spent probably 20+ hrs running the drip system to everything. It was such a PITA to get everything tweaked (and there are some areas that I could probably still work on) but it's so nice not to have to manually water it everyday. We have a combination of drippers and sprayer heads.
Is there anyway you could tap into the line with 1/4" tubing and add more drippers around the base of your trees/shrubs?
I don't know about tapping the line into the valve box. My guess would be that you'd have to have it looked at by a sprinkler "guy".
If the valve wasn't surrounded by 10 feet of concrete in every direction, it would be no problem.
Maybe I can rig it up to the valve OVER the concrete, but next to the building, so there is at least ONLY 10 feet of PVC showing in the end? Oh, and some sort of conduit for the electrical, as well, right?
Post a Comment