I'm sitting here thinking about tonight and I just have to write it out so I can remember it later. I don't want it to get lost in all the things that come and go in my head.
Tonight Abby and I were reading a book before she went to sleep. It's about a little monkey that keeps getting into trouble because the big monkey is too busy making dinner, etc., to play with him. (Uh, sound familiar to any parents out there????) It's amazing to me how much she "gets" a story like this at her young age. I could be wrong, but I don't think the big monkey ever specifically says, "go away" in the story, yet when she's telling me the story, that's what she says he says! (For the record, I don't tell her to go away either in case you think that's where she's getting it. I do, on the other hand, wish I wasn't so busy sometimes when she wants to play.)
The book wraps up with the big monkey telling the little monkey that he loves him even when little monkey is naughty, and that big monkey was naughty for shouting at the him. I think on the last page it comes full circle when the big monkey says, "I love you little monkey." And the little monkey says, "I love you, too. Even when you're naughty."
The point of this post is coming, I swear.
Abby has a routine she follows pretty closely at every bedtime. A few details change, but she always puts the book under her pillow, then she arranges her blanket(s) and/or sheets, and then her stuffed animals. I ask her if she wants a blanket on her (and she always says she does), then I ask if she wants it tucked (which she usually doesn't). Then I give her a big hug and we share a couple of kisses on our cheeks. This routine goes on for a while. :)
Tonight after I gave her a kiss good night, I said to her, "I love you little monkey." She was silent, so I suggested that she say, "I love you, too, Mommy." Instead of repeating what was suggested, you know what she said?
"I love you, too, big monkey!"
I melted on the spot.
I'm just glad she didn't tell me I'm naughty. ;)
I love that she loves books. I love that she is trying to read them by herself. I love that she remembers what I read and what she "reads." I love when she makes connections.
But most of all, I love that I've been given a chance to love her and all these little things about her.
I Love You, Little Monkey
Author: Durant, Alan
Description: When Little Monkey gets bored watching Big Monkey do all his important chores, he decides to lend his friend a helping hand by putting a playful spin on things; causing Big Monkey`s busy day to be even longer in the process!
Monday, June 2, 2008
Someone Scoop Me Up Off The Floor!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They're amazing aren't they? Some times we don't give them enough credit for what their minds pick up.
It's nice you read to her, it will make things easier for her later.
Dang, Jess, she reads to me more than I read to her now! Well, she TRIES to read, which is more than I thought I could hope for at only 31 months. You think being an elementary teacher, I'd know when they do these things, but I really didn't "do" early childhood ed. I was solely middle school science, so I still don't have a clue what to expect from her each day. She amazes us all the time. :)
Post a Comment