Went to the pediatrician today and Abby's gaining weight back, so that's great! She got her foot stuck for the PKU test and HATED IT!
Dr. Caplan told me that if she hadn't latched on and nursed yet, we may not be able to, and if we do manage it, it will be hard since so much time had gone by already. She sent us right over to the hospital to see the lactation consultants.
I was not too optimistic, as I'd seen 2 already in the hospital and every nurse in the place did their part in trying to get that baby to latch. However, this lady had a little trick up her sleeve that worked great to get us over that hump.
Nipple shield. It's basically like a bottle nipple that hooks on and "tricks" the baby into thinking she's at the bottle instead of the breast. Eventually we wean her off the shield and she nurses like any other baby.
Or, at least that's the plan. We'll see how it goes.
For now, she's pretty much nursing like a champ and I'm happy about that.
Well, except for the part where I have to nurse THEN still pump when she's done! It's like twice the work now, but it's better than nothing. Plus we'll have all that extra milk for when Marti wants to feed her or if we're out and about.
Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Posted by Lisa at 6:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment