No, not THAT one. You know I curse like a sailor and have no problem actually saying it if I wanted to.
The other one.
cancer.
That one.
We get that in my family. Grandma died of bladder cancer that ran amok. My grandfather died young, as did his son (my uncle), chock full of it. Mom and her little sister have both (successfully) battled breast cancer (BRAVO!!!!), as has my paternal grandmother. My great aunt was taken by uterine cancer that got the best of her. And there's not room to list all the pre-cancerous and suspicious skin that has been removed from my family.
So, it's out there and we stay aware of it. I had a mammogram early on so they'd have a "healthy" image to compare future mammograms to. I figured it couldn't hurt to get a baseline, right?
Oh, wait, I'm about to go into a little TMI zone, so be warned.
I'm susceptible to bladder infections and a few weeks ago, visited urgent care because of some, uh, symptoms. (slight pain and blood in the urine) Ok, that's as bad as it's going to get, so TMI warning now off.
I took Ci.pro and it got better, but when they called with my test results about a week later, I was concerned. First of all, the pain was flirting with the idea of coming back. More concerning though, was that they said my test results were "NORMAL."
No. I saw that little jar with the green lid, as did the doctor, and we both agreed that just by looking at it, we could tell that THAT WAS NOT NORMAL!
So, today I followed up with my regular doctor. He's baffled -- and sending me for an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys.
(Bitter irony, anyone? I would have LOVED to have heard I was going in for an ultrasound next week had the circumstances been a little different!)
As it is, I get to do the drink-32-ounces-and-then-hold-it-for-over-an-hour-bladder-bust not to get a view of a tiny baby, but because my doctor wants to rule out cancer.
At this point, it's WAY too early for me to get upset, right? But, I can't say I'm not scared at the thought of it.
I have to wait until NEXT Thursday morning to have the ultrasound, and then 3-4 business days after that to follow up with my doctor. After that shitty arrival on Monday, who would have thought I'd be back in another (slightly different) TWW again already?
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Ssshhh! She's Going to Say the C Word
Posted by Lisa at 4:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment