Warning: SOME vague references to female issues coming up.
When I left the R.E. last month, my next orders were to call him on day one of my next cycle. Presumably at that point, I'd go in for an ultrasound to determine if I had ovarian cysts or not (money grab) and then he'd prescribe me c.l.omid so I could do the CCCT test to determine my FSH. (An indicator of ovarian reserve and egg quality -- read: fertility of the lack thereof.)
Well, today is day one and I didn't call him.
I saw it coming a mile away. First of all, we had questionable coverage for this type of thing at work. Oh, that was as of 7/13. At that point, we had NO IF coverage, which, depending on who you asked, meant a number of different things in relation to the office visit I had just made. Exactly what does "no IF coverage" mean when the rep tells you "up to the point of diagnosis?" And what does "up to the point of diagnosis" mean when testing is not covered? What kind of doctor makes a diagnosis prior to testing? I mean, SERIOUSLY, WTF????
But, I digress.
I return to "second."
Second, with no coverage, I didn't really expect Marti to be thrilled to have us saddled with further office visits, unnecessary ultrasound test, lab fees for blood tests, and (as if we weren't already getting drained) fees just to draw the blood.
As I alluded to earlier in this post, my insurance has now changed. It was pretty well completely out of the blue. In a way it's a good thing, but, had I known they were working on this change, I would have conducted my affairs a little differently.
Now, instead of "no IF coverage" we have a good solid "up to the point of diagnosis." If I would have waited mere days to see the specialist, my $320 (mostly pointless) R.E. office visit probably would have been covered.
C'est la vie.
So, I told Marti it was day one and I needed to call or not call the R.E.
He thought "not call" was the best option.
I can't say I wasn't mad. I was. Sure, he had a point. Why not wait and see what this next cycle brings. Besides, it's not like knowing the results of the test would change our actions, would it? In the end, we'll still do what we're going to do.
But, I can't help but be a little bitter that I can't be in complete control of my own health care and know some pretty basic bits of info so that I can make my own informed decisions regarding MY OWN HEALTH. ARGH!
I take that back. I guess I CAN know the info. I would just have to shell out over $1000 in the end to GET it. Basically, 2 VERY simple blood tests is going to cost me over $1000 by the time I pay off all the gate keepers.
BUT WAIT!
I was lucky enough to have been directed to a place here in town that will do the tests without doctors' orders.
Stop the presses!!!!!!!
GTFO!
As it is, I need to see my regular OBGYN next week, so once she gets me up to date, she can give me the meds I need to do the test and then I get to get on with it.
OMFG! Be still, my heart!
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I Hate That I Have Become So Easily Affected
Posted by Lisa at 11:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment